- City Departments
- City Council
The City Charter (PDF) provides for a Council-Manager form of government where the city manager is responsible to the City Council. The Charter provides for a Mayor and six Council Members with the Mayor being elected at-large. Three Council Members are elected from the east ward and three Council Members are elected from the west ward.
The Mayor, or in his/her absence the Mayor Pro-Tem, is the presiding officer at City Council meetings but may only vote in case of a tie vote among Council Members. The Mayor and each Council Member serve three-year staggered terms and there are no term limits. The City Charter prohibits salaries for the Mayor or Council Members but they may be reimbursed for their expenses related to their Council service.
The responsibilities of the City Council include but are not limited to the following:
- Adopting the annual budget
- Adopting, amending or repealing ordinances and resolutions
- Appointing persons to boards and commissions
- Adopt, modify and carry out plans for development proposed by the Planning and Zoning Commission
- Approve fees for services
- Approve capital improvement projects
- Approve all purchases for goods or services of more than $50,000 in value
- 5:30 p.m.
- Second Monday of each month
- City Hall
505 W Cameron Avenue
Rockdale, TX 76567
Meeting information and agendas are posted at least 72 hours in advance at City Hall, except in emergencies. To request for an item to be placed on an agenda, please submit a completed Request for Placement on Agenda Form (PDF) to the city secretary by noon on the Monday a week prior to the regularly scheduled meeting. Download a copy of the Council Rules and Procedures (PDF).
View the City Council's current members and membership requirements.